Overview: The KCPR Content Director manages all content on KCPR.org and reports to the Editor-in-Chief. Content writers report to the CD, who understands and coordinates all story assignments. This person must work with the News Director, KCPR Marketing Director and Music and Programming Director to plan comprehensive coverage of the most important stories in alternative and new music journalism, arts and culture.
Develop a coverage plan in regular meetings with the content team, KCPR news team and occasionally the video editor to be shared with Social Editor and other platform managers.
- Acts as primary point of contact for KCPR.org content
- Plans and coordinate essential coverage and training with staff
- Promotes team cohesion.
- Edits enterprise and long-form news stories.
- Takes the lead in planning and coordinating large-scale KCPR event coverage.
- Understands the “big picture” when it comes to entertainment and music coverage at Cal Poly and adds context to story assignments
- Stays abreast of local media stories that pertain to arts, music, and culture
- Attends weekly Mustang News General meetings, editor meetings, KCPR manager meetings, MMG manager meetings, and JOUR 320
- Utilizes MMG Trello to coordinate with other section editors
- Meet with Managing Editor for Mustang News to discuss collaborative content
- Meet quarterly with the Media Board to discuss the status of KCPR
- Find unique multimedia elements to incorporate across KCPR.org
- Meets with the KCPR Advisor weekly
- Sticks to KCPR’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion and understands the platform KCPR.org can provide to local organizations. Participates in KCPR’s weekly DEI meetings
- Lead the interview and hiring process for new KCPR.org content team members
- Hires Editorial Assistant and coordinates with them daily to edit content and schedule socials
- Stays on top of creative ways for our KCPR.org content to serve our audience of Cal Poly students, KCPR alumni, and San Luis Obispo community members
- Surveys audience with KCPR.org Reader Survey once per year
- Discusses with KCPR Social Media Specialist the development of social media posts about the content posted on KCPR.org
- Discusses with KCPR.org News Director which Mustang News on KCPR stories should be highlighted on KCPR.org’s front page
- Meets with KCPR Venue Relations Director to coordinate press passes for covering local concerts and shows
- Meets and establishes work flow with KCPR Art Director to create art for KCPR.org content
- Builds connection with MMG Photo/Video team to plan coverage of KCPR.org stories
- Establishes workflow of how many articles to post on KCPR.org per week – schedules and uploads articles to WordPress
- Collaborates KCPR Programming and Music Director to ensure that music content correlates with KCPR’s sound
- Oversees the development of playlists for KCPR’s Spotify and ensures they are representing the music KCPR plays
- Curates the “Events” tab on KCPR.org to highlight local events on and off campus
- Intermediate understanding of how to operate WordPress, creates website tabs and content for other KCPR.org teams who request it
- Works with MMG Digital Manager to keep KCPR.org looking updated and aesthetically pleasing
- Be enrolled/attend J455 weekly