Overview: The Art Director reports to the Editor-in-Chief and Managing Editor of KCPR.org and oversees all visual identities for KCPR. With the art team, the Art Director helps journalists convey their stories in unique ways that also maintains a cohesive and identifiable KCPR brand. They help present news to different types of audience members and continuously update the social, web, and news platforms.
- Execute the reporter’s and DJ’s visions as well as come up with their own ideas for laying out content in a way that is visually appealing and easy to read
- Follow KCPR style guides, while pushing the boundaries of design in everything created
- Go above and beyond traditional layouts and create original graphics, art and more to add unique elements to a story or social media post
- Communicate with platform managers to design and create visuals across platforms for stories from all KCPR factions (KCPR.org, Music and Programming needs, social media, promotional materials)
- Use industry-standard software including Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator
- Attend weekly KCPR management meetings
- Oversee brand identity between all platforms
- Connect stories with creative personal in order to create more multimedia coverage
- Collaborate with creative personnel to ensure that all creative ideas are presented properly
- Constantly survey professional media landscape to find the most successful and engaging practices
- Teach and oversee the art team
- Create special sections on the KCPR website
- Promote team cohesion. Run relevant training.
- Plan and coordinate essential coverage and training over the summer
- Take the lead in planning and coordinating large-scale multimedia coverage, such as on-campus concerts.
- Be enrolled in Jour 455 and attend weekly