Overview: The Social Manager is in charge of creating and distributing news content via social media and reports to the Editor In Chief. Participates on the breaking news team and ensures news gets out quickly and accurately via the most appropriate platforms. Should be well-versed in multimedia with skills in video, design, storytelling and number crunching of analytics. Engagement is key; when tasked by the Editor In Chief, the Social Media Manager may be the public voice for Mustang News in the community, which includes answering comments on the website and on social media. Looks for new methods of telling stories digitally and utilizing the ever-evolving social media channels.
- Coordinate with section editors to produce and deliver the news across social media platforms (including, but not limited to, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram).
- Coordinate with Video Manager and Video Producer to facilitate native Facebook videos such as Mustang News Now and info videos.
- Manage a staff of social media editors, which includes a social media editor for KCPR.
- Assign content that best supports editorial stories or can act as stand alone content (including but not limited to info videos, Instagram stories, Facebook albums, graphics, polls etc.).
- Collaborate with PR Manager to plan and execute expansion of social media platforms.
- Collaborate with Digital Manager to collect and interpret analytics using Google Analytics and social media analytics tools. Strategize accordingly.
- Keep up with current social media trends and strategize ways for Mustang News social content to stay on the cutting edge.
- Manage community engagement around news posts, such as retweeting, responding to messages and comments, etc.
- Oversee all content published on Mustang News’ social channels, including content from advertising and PR teams, to maintain continuity and quality of content produced.
- Oversee and leverage social media aggregator (e.g. Agora Pulse) to ensure optimized, frequent and consistent social media coverage.
- Produce and disseminate weekly reports containing website metrics and social media analytics
- Coordinate COVID-19 update daily on all platforms
- Be available for breaking news updates as often as you can— if not available assign to a team member
Compensation: $400 per month stipend