Mustang Media Group news multimedia journalists (MMJs) are often the first on the scene of major Cal Poly and San Luis Obispo happenings, investigating the day’s breaking stories and looking into some of the most controversial issues facing our campus. You will have the opportunity to interview influential campus, university and city leaders and report what you find on our integrated platforms, including web, print and social.
What You Will Do:
- Pitch and report on stories affecting both Cal Poly and the campus community across Mustang Media Group platforms
- Assist with breaking news or live coverage
- Produce content according to Associated Press/Mustang News style
- Collaborate with editors and other multimedia journalists on comprehensive coverage
- Work alongside social media editors to develop social media-native content and promote your stories via social platforms; including but not limited to info videos and live tweeting
- Attend weekly Sunday editorial staff meetings either in-person or via Zoom
- Health / COVID-19
- Crime & policing
- City Council
- SLO Business
- University Administration & Academics
- Racial Justice & Social Equity
- Science & Technology
If you are interested in one of the above beats in particular, please specify in your cover letter, but no specification is necessary to apply.
We are looking for team players with a drive to learn and passion for storytelling. Mustang Media Group members thrive on innovation while ambitiously seeking to hone their craft and improve their communities.
Whether your goal is to pursue a career in journalism, gain experience in multimedia reporting or learn more about a specific campus topic you’re interested in, Mustang Media Group is the best place to get a comprehensive campus experience. No writing, multimedia or reporting experience is required.