Overview: The Managing Editor manages editorial content across all platforms and reports to the Editor-in-Chief. Section editors (News, Sports, Arts & Student Life, Opinion) report to the ME, who understands and coordinates all story assignments from the news desk, including all stories being reported on from within Mustang News and in classes that directly contribute content to Mustang News. This person must work with the News Editor and Broadcast News Director to plan comprehensive coverage of the most important stories.
Develop a coverage plan, in regular meetings with the section editors and the video editor to be shared with the news team, Editor-in-Chief, Social Editor and platform managers. Coordinate with KCPR News Director.
- Acts as primary point of contact with JOUR 462 and KCPR.org.
- Works with the Editor-in-Chief to edit and schedule daily web stories.
- Plans and coordinates essential coverage and training over the summer and ideally is physically in the newsroom at least two weeks before fall term.
- Promotes team cohesion.
- Edits enterprise and long-form news stories.
- Takes the lead in planning and coordinating large-scale news event coverage.
- Understands the “big picture” when it comes to news at Cal Poly and adds context to story assignments.
- Stays abreast of local media stories.
- Attends Mustang News print production nights, working with the Editor-in-Chief to read pages and make editorial decisions.
- Collaborates with the Creative Director/Design Manager to plan the monthly print edition, and works with Editor-in-Chief to read pages and make editorial decisions during print production.
- Meet quarterly with the Media Board to discuss the status of Mustang News.
Compensation: Monthly $500 stipend