Overview: The Digital Manager reports to the Editor-in-Chief and KCPR managing editor while managing multimedia coverage across all sections. The Digital Manager understands and coordinates all story assignments involving multimedia, including stories being reported on from within Mustang Media Group and in classes that directly contribute content to MMG. This person works with platform managers and content editors to plan comprehensive coverage of the most important stories.
- Coordinate timely and frequent updates of website content.
- Ensure regular updates to site software (plugins, themes, wordpress) This should be checked at least weekly.
- Serve as primary point of contact with JOUR 462, facilitating coverage and ensuring that publishable work ends up being published in the newspaper or on the website.
- Act as primary web composer of all digital stories.
- Work to implement new digital tools and website features.
- Maximize site optimization.
- Promote team cohesion. Run relevant training.
- Create guides for FAQ
- Have availability to be on-call for web related troubleshooting
- Plan and coordinate essential coverage and training over the summer and be physically in the newsroom at least two weeks before fall term. Also be available as needed throughout all academic breaks (Winter, Spring, etc) to help coordinate breaking news.
- Collaborate with Social Manager to collect and interpret analytics using Google Analytics and social media analytics tools. Strategize accordingly.
- Lead in planning and coordinating large-scale multimedia coverage, such as rivalry games, on-campus concerts, and election day coverage
- Tailor stories to the web as often as possible, adding subheads, pull quotes, photo galleries, interactivity, polls, etc. and SEO-oriented headlines.
- Ensure functionality on mobile platforms
- Understand the “big picture” when it comes to multimedia coverage at Cal Poly and add context to story assignments.
- Be responsible for MN web user-testing throughout the year.
- Coordinate a weekly schedule with fellow MMG Digital Managers for role fulfillment
- Regularly check in with other MMG staff to ensure satisfaction with digital formatting/publication
Compensation: $400 per month stipend