Sports reporters receive press passes to events and have the opportunity to develop
relationships with some of Cal Poly’s top athletes. The job requires curiosity and a love of sports
above all else, but it also requires dedication and a strong writing/multimedia ability.
• Report on games, athletes, and sports news at Cal Poly across Mustang Media Group
• Produce content in a variety of multimedia formats, including interactive, graphic and
• Have knowledge and passion for sports.
• Film, edit, and voiceover game recaps and sports packages.
o Occasionally appear on camera for that content.
• Must be able to use Adobe Premiere.
o Recommended: AfterEffects, Photoshop.
• Must understand basic functions of DSLRs and broadcast cameras.
• Work alongside social media editors to develop social media-native content and
promote your stories/recaps via social platforms; including but not limited to info videos
and live tweeting.
•Write in broadcast style.
• Collaborate with editors and other reporters on comprehensive coverage.
• Attend weekly Sunday editorial staff meetings.
We are looking for team players with a drive to learn and passion for storytelling. Mustang
Media Group members thrive on innovation while ambitiously seeking to hone their craft and
improve their communities.
Whether your goal is to pursue a career in journalism, gain experience in multimedia reporting
or learn more about a specific campus topic you’re interested in, Mustang Media Group is the
best place to get a comprehensive campus experience. No writing, multimedia or reporting
experience is required.