Overview: The News Editor manages news coverage across all platforms and reports to the Managing Editor and Editor-In-Chief. The News Editor understands and coordinates all story assignments from the news desk, including all stories being reported on from within Mustang News and in classes that directly contribute content to Mustang News. This person must work with all platform managers and editors to plan comprehensive coverage of the most important stories, and consider multimedia aspects that can be coordinated with Video, Photo, and KCPR.
- Understand the “big picture” when it comes to news at Cal Poly and the surrounding community and add context to story assignments.
- Stay abreast of local media stories and understand community trends.
- Assign and edit spot stories for students in JOUR 352. Work with 352 reporters when pitching enterprise stories.
- Attend JOUR 352 class sessions along with the Managing Editor and Assistant News Editor.
- Be available to coordinate essential coverage, prepare and host staff training over the summer.
- Promote collaboration with other teams to ensure comprehensive coverage.
- Attend Mustang News print production days, working with the Managing Editor and Editor-in-Chief to read pages and make editorial decisions.
- Work with the Social team to get breaking news stories on social media.
- Assign photographers and designers to stories, depending on the elements each story needs.
- Be enrolled/attend J455 weekly