Data can be used to provide insights into the world around us and how it affects us. The data reporter would have an inquisitive nature to look into datasets and reports to find trends, patterns and outliers worth writing about. Topics include environmental reports, diversity data, and university spending. This role entails collecting and maintaining different databases, submitting public records requests and visualizing the data into graphs.
You will be a part of the data section of Mustang News, The Hill. Your findings will appear on our integrated platforms, including web, print and social.
What You Will Do:
- Develop relationships with different data holders on campus, including the University Police Department and campus leaders
- Pitch and report on stories based on data that affect both Cal Poly and the campus community across Mustang Media Group platforms
- Submit public records requests to the university or the city for data
- Review datasets to find trends, patterns and outliers
- Maintain and grow The Hill’s database of information
- Use industry standard software, including Adobe Illustrator, AfterEffects and Photoshop along with multimedia web apps
- Create charts and graphs to visualize data and accompany written stories
- Produce content according to Associated Press/Mustang News style
- Collaborate with editors and other multimedia journalists on comprehensive coverage
- Work alongside social media editors to develop social media-native content and promote your stories via social platforms
- Attend weekly Sunday editorial staff meetings either in-person or via Zoom
We are looking for team players with a drive to learn and passion for telling stories that often go untold. Mustang Media Group members thrive on innovation while ambitiously seeking to hone their craft and serve their communities.
Whether your goal is to pursue a career in journalism, gain experience in multimedia reporting or learn more about data as it relates to Cal Poly, Mustang Media Group is the best place to get a comprehensive campus experience. Writing experience is required, multimedia experience is not required.