Mustang Media Group news reporters are often the first on the scene of major Cal Poly and San Luis Obispo events, covering the day’s breaking news stories and looking into some of the most controversial issues facing our campus. You will have the opportunity to interview influential campus, university and city leaders and report what you find on our integrated platforms, including web, print and social.
The Mustang News en Español section, showing Spanish translations of our stories, was established during the 2021-22 school year. Now, we hope to grow our team to include original reporting, and expand to additional languages if staff availability permits.
Applicants are required to be proficient in speaking, writing and reading Spanish. People interested in reporting in a language other than Spanish may still apply, however can only be accepted if an editor in that language is also available.
- Pitch and report on stories affecting both Cal Poly and the local community across Mustang Media Group platforms
- Learn and follow Associated Press/Mustang News style
- Collaborate with editors and other reporters on comprehensive multimedia coverage
- Use industry standard software, including Adobe Illustrator, Premiere, AfterEffects and Photoshop along with multimedia web apps as needed
- Shoot photos and videos using DSLR or broadcast cameras as needed
- Work alongside social media editors to develop social media-native content and promote your stories via social platforms; including but not limited to info videos and live tweeting
- Attend weekly Sunday editorial staff meetings
We are looking for team players with a drive to learn and passion for storytelling. Mustang Media Group members thrive on innovation while ambitiously seeking to hone their craft and improve their communities.
Whether your goal is to pursue a career in journalism, gain experience in multimedia reporting or learn more about a specific campus topic you’re interested in, Mustang Media Group is the best place to get a comprehensive campus experience. No multimedia or reporting experience is required.