The Arts and Student Life Editor manages a team of reporters covering all things regarding creative student or community endeavors and student affairs. Like the News editor, they assign their teams stories and prepare their pieces for web and print publication. The Arts and Student Life Editor should be tuned into newsworthy events occurring on and around campus, in order to ensure relevant stories. This person must work with all platform managers and editors to plan comprehensive coverage of the most important stories.
- Organizing and communicating with their team of Arts and Student Life reporters
- Collecting pertinent information on stories to pitch to team
- Assign members of their team with new stories and regularly check in on in-progress stories
- Edit reporters’ stories using an understanding of AP format
- Set deadlines for reporting team and hold the team accountable
- Aid in working through reporters’ obstacles that may arise
- Be the liaison between reporters and Editor-in-Chief/ Managing Editor
- Attend weekly Mustang News Meetings and editor meetings
- Promote collaboration with other teams to ensure comprehensive coverage.
- Assign photographers and designers to stories, depending on the elements each story needs
The Arts and Student Life Editor is a great position for anyone who is interested in student affairs and creative arts. This person works as a mentor for their reporters’ and is great for anyone looking to gain a deeper understanding of the news reporting process from start to the final edits.